Thursday 16 November 2017

Diploma Chapter 5 - Decorative Features of an Indian Stitched Textile...continued

Discharged Wax Resist on Tissue

MM110-112 are larger pieces - 35cmWx25cmH and were made in the order given.  As I worked I realised that I needed to use a finer tjanting tool to obtain the detail necessary.  MM110 and 111 were very blobby as too much wax was flowing onto the tissue.




Drawn and Stitch Study Combined

Initially I tried discharging used tea bags that I had bonded to small sketchbook pages (11cmWx15cmH) using thin bleach - MM113-115.  In order to get a mark the teabag needed to be quite wet with bleach so I used a cotton bud.  The finer detail was added with a rubber-tipped paint brush.  When the bleach had discharged I gave the teabags two coats of acrylic wax.  Though I had some marks I decided to wax batik and then discharge a piece of  black linen to use as a background for my stitch study.




MM116 - wax batik on linen discharged with thin bleach.


MM117 - Stitch Study (18.5cmWx27cmH)
  • shisha three ways - Methods 1 and 2 as given.  Method 3 uses a plastic ring with four holes.  The ring was covered with blanket stitch and then sewn over the mirror.  This is a method I've seen in contemporary work
  • herringbone stitch
  • chain and open chain stitch
  • Romanian stitch
  • Cretan stitch over a base thread
  • Laid work
  • Blanket stitch

No comments:

Post a Comment