Thursday 25 May 2017

Diploma Module 1 - Evaluation of Completed Work

Choice of research theme

As the spider diagram was prepared, the addition of shadows made the scope for investigation richer and more varied.  Alongside the development of ideas, the effect light will have on future pieces has also been considered, so transparency/translucency has been important in my designs, i.e. consideration of the finished piece and how it will integrate into its final surroundings, rather than in isolation on the sketchbook page. This has lead into some 3D work (twining, Paverpol, use of wire).

Use of sketchbook to glean visual information

If people work in different ways, some plan and then produce; some produce then adapt; some plan, produce and adapt, then I am probably in with the first, plan and produce (and only then adapt if the original plan isn't quite what was anticipated).   I'd rather work on paper, making mock-ups if required, and then consider how the piece will develop, than jump straight in.  The use of the sketchbook for me is an essential tool, giving me ideas on which to base future work and continually being expanded.  All the sketchbooks used in Module 1, from small to large and ideas suggested are already providing directions for future work.  They have helped me collected ideas together and as I finish this module I'm still collecting (see add-ons).

Your designs

The only way I can address this is by considering which designs make me excited and want to go on to do more.  In no definite order:
  • the monoprinting Image 141
  • the 'boro' layering section Images 156 - 171
  • the discharge printing Images 194-5 (and see add-ons)
  • the extended work on Image 239 (Image 292 especially - see add-ons)
  • the black tissue discharge batik (Image 367)
  • my tweaked colour palette.
Proposed design ideas

See add-ons for a few ideas I've already started working on. I'm also keen to experiment with working with paper, wire and translucency.

Artists study

Looking at other artists work is a little like going back to a technique book and seeing things in a different way depending on where you current interests lie.  It can take you in directions you never thought of, not to copy but to add-on to your own reservoir of ideas.

The two artists I have looked at have added to my collection and made me revisit techniques I have tried in the past, but now with a different emphasis - gulls with shadows.  Attending workshops with Debbie Lyddon has been even more rewarding - I now think about the quiet space in designs and try to keep things simple.

PS This can also be expensive - I am now the proud owner of a wax pot!

No comments:

Post a Comment