MM110-112 are larger pieces - 35cmWx25cmH and were made in the order given. As I worked I realised that I needed to use a finer tjanting tool to obtain the detail necessary. MM110 and 111 were very blobby as too much wax was flowing onto the tissue.
Drawn and Stitch Study Combined
Initially I tried discharging used tea bags that I had bonded to small sketchbook pages (11cmWx15cmH) using thin bleach - MM113-115. In order to get a mark the teabag needed to be quite wet with bleach so I used a cotton bud. The finer detail was added with a rubber-tipped paint brush. When the bleach had discharged I gave the teabags two coats of acrylic wax. Though I had some marks I decided to wax batik and then discharge a piece of black linen to use as a background for my stitch study.
MM116 - wax batik on linen discharged with thin bleach.
MM117 - Stitch Study (18.5cmWx27cmH)
- shisha three ways - Methods 1 and 2 as given. Method 3 uses a plastic ring with four holes. The ring was covered with blanket stitch and then sewn over the mirror. This is a method I've seen in contemporary work
- herringbone stitch
- chain and open chain stitch
- Romanian stitch
- Cretan stitch over a base thread
- Laid work
- Blanket stitch